Welcome to Lake Mills and Mrs. Brackey’s 2nd Grade Classroom!
I received my teacher training from Iowa State University and Buena Vista. I have been teaching for 25 years with most of those years in second grade. I have 3 children who have all graduated from Lake Mills. One is currently enrolled at UNI and the other two have graduated from UNI and NIACC. I live on an acreage one mile north of Joice and have lived in the area all my life. In fact, I was a second grade student in the exact classroom that I am teaching in now!
* Second grade takes a spelling test every Friday. Spelling words are sent home the Friday before in a newsletter called Mrs. Brackey’s Weekly News. Spelling words follow a phonics pattern for the week with the 6th week of each theme based on high frequency words.
* Homework is handed out every Friday and due back the following Friday. However, students that turn it in on the following Monday get a responsibility point for being responsible. The reading homework is intended for the student to read aloud to someone and answer questions about their reading.
* Report cards are given 4 times a year and parent teacher conferences are held 3 times a year. Behavior notes may be sent home at any time. Any and all support at home is appreciated.
*In my classroom I focus on what I call “Words to Live by:”
· Your job at school is to learn!
· Treat others the way you want to be treated.
· Learn from your mistakes.
· Respect: classmates, teachers, yourself, and this school.
· If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
I am looking forward to a great year full of fun and learning! - Mrs. Brackey